These keto jalapeno poppers are spicy, cheesy, and downright delicious. Bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers make a perfect appetizer or side dish, whether your company is keto or not. With just eight ingredients, 10 minutes of prep time, and a 20 minute bake time, you'll be able to whip up a tasty snack the whole family can enjoy!
Jalapeno peppers sliced in half, loaded with layers of cheese, and wrapped in blistering bacon–could there be a better game day appetizer to snack on? Definitely not. They're the ultimate party food and a guaranteed crowd pleaser!
As with any tailgate treat worth its weight, these low-carb jalapeno poppers are fun to make and a (flavor) blast to eat. They're especially fun to whip up at home because they're so damn easy to make. Our version of this tasty treat is exceptionally flavorful and guaranteed to help you hit your macros, thanks to the inclusion of our Flamin' Hot Mini Beef Sticks!
No need to bust out the deep fryer for these poppers–they bake up in the oven in just 20 minutes. The entire recipe from start to finish will take no longer than 30 minutes, so you can put them together the same day in no time with no stress! Or, peep our tips below for preparing in advance!
Keto Jalapeno Popper Ingredients:
Ready to cook? Here's what you'll need to make the best keto jalapeno poppers:
- Jalapenos - Grab the largest jalapenos your local market has stocked for these poppers. They're the primary vessel for your creamy and cheesy filling, so keep that in mind when sourcing your peppers!
- Cream cheese - Cream cheese is the main filler in this recipe. It adds a deliciously creamy textural element to the final popper, and it brings some much-needed tang to the table.
- Shredded cheddar cheese - Cheddar cheese makes the filling rich and creamy. And, It adds a subtle nutty, salty flavor!
- Garlic powder, onion powder, green onions, and Flamin' Hot Mini Sticks - This tasty trio of ingredients lends lots of sharp and savory flavor to the rich cheese filling.
- Bacon - It gives these baked jalapeno poppers a hint of smoke and the perfect hit of salt for seasoning.
How To Make Keto Jalapeno Peppers:
Fire up the oven first. Preheat the oven to 425°F–this is the perfect temperature to maximize the crispiness of your bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers.
Prepare the jalapenos. To begin, you'll want to wash your jalapenos and glove up if your hands are sensitive–these hot peppers can cause a burning sensation dubbed jalapeno hands. Next, cut your jalapenos in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scrape out the membrane and seeds.
Combine ingredients to create the cream cheese filling. Next, add the cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, green onions, and Flamin' Hot Mini Sticks to a small mixing bowl and mix until combined.
Fill your jalapeno peppers. Now you're going to spoon your cream cheese mixture into your empty jalapeno halves. No need to go overboard with the filling here. Aim to fill your jalapenos just above the wall of the peppers so you don't end up with a big cheesy mess!
Wrap the jalapenos with bacon slices. Once you've stuffed all jalapeno halves with the cheesy filling, you're going to wrap each jalapeno half with a slice of bacon. You can choose to wrap each jalapeno with an entire piece of bacon, or you can spread increase your total quantity of poppers by cutting each slice of bacon in half before wrapping the jalapenos.
Bake your low-carb poppers. Arrange your keto jalapeno poppers cut side up on a prepared baking sheet and bake in the 425°F oven for 20 minutes, or until the bacon is crispy and the filling is melted and lightly browned.
Keto Jalapeno Popper Tips:
- Source medium-large jalapenos that are all similar in size. You want to purchase the largest jalapenos you can find, and you want them to all be as close to the same size as possible. Smaller jalapenos just don't hold enough filling to make the flavors pop–and using jalapenos of the same size ensures an even bake.
- Glove up to prevent the burning sensation known as "jalapeno hands." If you plan to make these poppers without gloves, you're essentially signing yourself up for a game of Russian roulette. You don't always end up with jalapeno hands, but if you do, stick your hands in a bowl of yogurt to cool off.
- Add jalapeno seeds to the cream cheese mixture for an extra hit of heat. Jalapenos contain a chemical called capsaicin that is concentrated around the seeds and in the ribs. So, If you're looking to up the spice factor of these poppers, reserve the seeds from the jalapenos when you're scraping them out and add them to the mixing bowl when creating the cream cheese filling.
- Steer clear of thick-cut bacon. Thick-cut bacon is great, just not for this recipe. Thinly sliced bacon strips will crisp up super fast in the oven, leaving your poppers with a perfectly crunchy exterior–the perfect textural contrast to that creamy cheese filling.
- Secure your bacon with a toothpick if you're wrapping with half slices. Using toothpicks to secure the bacon in place as the poppers bake reduces the mess with shrinking and unraveling bacon halves. As a bonus, the toothpicks make the poppers easier to eat–pick them up with the toothpicks and pop them directly into your mouth–good riddance, greasy hands!
- Allow the poppers to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. The cheese filling will remain deceptively hot after coming out of the oven. Bite into a popper right as it comes out of the oven if you're wondering what it'd be like to eat molten magma.
- Make ahead of time for maximum efficiency. The jalapeno halves can be stuffed and wrapped in bacon one day ahead. Arrange them on a baking sheet, wrap with plastic, and toss in the refrigerator until you're ready to bake.
Looking for more great Keto snack ideas? Check out the Ultimate List of Keto Snacks packed with over 50 ideas.
The BEST Keto Jalapeno Poppers
- 12 large jalapeno peppers
- 8 ounces full-fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Flamin' Hot Mini Beef Sticks, rough chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 12 slices center-cut bacon
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash and halve your jalapeno peppers lengthwise. Scrape out the internal membrane and seeds with a spoon, and reserve for the cream cheese mixture if you're a spice stalker.
- Add the cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, green onions and beef sticks to a medium sized mixing bowl and mix until evenly combined.
- Fill each jalapeno half with the cream cheese mixture–about 1 heaping TBSP per jalapeno. Use the back of your spoon to push the filling down into the jalapeno after filling.
- Cut 12 bacon slices in half, and wrap each jalapeño half in a piece of bacon. Tuck the ends of the bacon under the pepper and secure the bacon in place by skewering a toothpick from side to side.
- Arrange the jalapeno poppers cut-side up on the parchment lined baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the bacon is crispy and the filling is melted and lightly browned.
- Allow the poppers to cool for a minimum of 10 minutes before serving, and enjoy!
Calories 461, Fat 38.6 grams, Carbs 3.7 grams, Fiber 0.8 grams, Protein 24.4 grams