There are few summer activities better than floating down a fresh body of water in beautiful sunshine. Like most outdoor adventures, a little planning and preparation will unlock a relaxing and enjoyable day on the water.
We prepared this float trip checklist that covers gear, safety, clothing, and provisions.
What to Bring on a Float Trip
Float Trip Gear1. Your Vessel of Choice (This can be an inner tube, raft, canoe or kayak. Don’t forget an air pump if necessary.)
2. Tube Repair Kit
3. Dry Bag
4. Bungee Cords
5. Ziplock Bags
8. Waterproof Cell Phone Case or Floating Phone Case
Float Trip Safety9. Sunscreen
11. First Aid Kit
12. Bug Spray
13. Wet Wipes or Hand Sanitizer
Float Trip Clothing
14. Swim Suit
15. Cover Up
16. Rash Guard
17. Floating Sunglasses
19. Water Shoes (River Sandals or Neoprene Booties)
20. Dry Clothes
Float Trip Provisions21. Water
24. Cooler (Don’t forget a raft for your cooler. They even sell floating coolers.)
Float Trip Extras26. Waterproof Camera
27. Water Guns
29. Waterproof Speaker
What Not to Bring on a Float Trip1. Books
3. Expensive Sunglasses
5. Unnecessary Items
Download a printable float trip packing list here.
Float Trip Pro Tips
- Keep it light. You don’t want to be weighed down with unnecessary gear.
- Sun protection is critical. Make sure to protect yourself from the sun.
- Drink plenty of water. If partaking in adult beverages, drink responsibly.
- Do your part. Clear your letter, pack out what you pack in, and clean up after yourself. Keep the river water clean and clear.