Machaca Con Huevos in a Bacon Weave Tortilla
Calling all carnivores! Do you miss breakfast tacos? Are you stuck in a carnivore diet recipe rut?
Not anymore! The carnivore diet does NOT need to be boring, and it definitely won't be after you learn about our secret breakfast ingredient: Machaca!
What is Machaca?
To make our Machaca, we start with thick cuts of 100% American beef! The beef is seasoned with minimal spices: sea salt, black pepper, garlic, and paprika. The seasoning is extremely light, as we use just 2% of seasoning to protein. Meaning, for every 100 pounds of beef, there are 2 pounds of seasoning, most of which is sea salt, making it an excellent carnivore diet meat option! All of this is then slow-cooked for a minimum of five hours. Once dried, the thick-cut jerky is shredded to a fine & airy consistency.
Some people may see our Machaca and be reminded of "jerky chew" or "beef jerky chew," and that's because that's exactly what it is! This shredded beef jerky is an old-time jerky favorite, commonly found in a can, tin, or jar; perfect for on-the-go snacking.
BUT, It's also perfect for Machaca Con Huevos–which means "shredded with eggs" in Spanish–a dish that consists of shredded dry beef, scrambled with eggs!
This is our favorite carnivore diet meal idea and our best way to "spice up" your carnivore diet recipe list. Be-weave you me, you're not going to want to miss this!
We begin by weaving the tortilla of our dreams: the bacon weave tortilla! It's quite simple, actually. You first cut eight bacon strips in half, creating 16 total pieces of bacon. Grab a sheet pan and lay four halves down–side by side– on each side of the sheet pan. These four halves on each side of the sheet pan will be the bacon tortilla's foundation. So, you will end up with two total bacon weave tortillas! On each tortilla, begin the weave by folding every other bacon strip up and over itself. You then lay down one-half piece of bacon over it crosswise and refold the folded slices of bacon back down on themselves. Finally, you fold every other strip that was not folded the first time back over itself. Lay the next bacon strip down, and repeat that process until you got a bacon weave!
We will bake these bacon weaves at 400 degrees fahrenheit for about 25-30 mins, until fully cooked through and slightly crispy. But first, we will take a cooling rack, and place it upside down, on top of the bacon weaves! This will prevent the bacon from curling up while baking, which will ultimately leave you the perfect bacon weave tortilla! Be sure to reserve the rendered bacon fat, as we will use this to cook our machaca and eggs!
For the machaca con huevos, we begin by rehydrating the dried Machaca with our reserved bacon fat from the bacon tortilla! Smart right? More fat, more flavor, and fully carnivore! Just cook in a medium skillet on medium-low for 3-5 mins to rehydrate the dried Machaca. Once rehydrated, add beaten eggs, and scramble until cooked through.
Finally, we fill our bacon weave tortilla with the machaca con huevos mixture, and if desired, top with shredded cheddar cheese! Finally, you can eat breakfast tacos again! Congrats friend, we're proud of you.
Ready to scramble up your breakfast routine with this fresh carnivore diet machaca recipe?
Keep reading to find out to read the recipe: Carnivore-friendly Machaca Con Huevos Breakfast Tacos!
- 8 strips of bacon, cut in half
- Reserved bacon fat (2 Tbsp)
- 1 oz. People's Choice Machaca
- 4 eggs
- Optional: Salt and Cheddar cheese
Bacon weave tortilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Lay 4 half strips of bacon down side by side on a lined baking sheet
- Fold every other piece of bacon up and over itself
- Lay one piece of bacon down on top (crosswise), then fold the other bacon strips back down to create a weave.
- Continue with the rest of the bacon until the bacon weave "tortilla" is complete
- Repeat steps with the remaining half-strips of bacon to create your second bacon tortilla
- Place a cookie sheet upside down and onto the bacon weave tortillas. This will prevent the bacon from curling up while cooking
- Bake in a 400-degree oven for 25-30 mins
- Remove, and let your bacon weave tortilla cool
- Reserve all bacon fat for the next steps
Machaca Con Huevos Breakfast Tacos
- In a large skillet, heat bacon fat over medium-low heat
- Add Machaca and stir to rehydrate. Cook for 3-5 mins
- Beat eggs until well mixed and add to the skillet
- Add a pinch of salt (if using) and scramble until eggs are cooked through.
- Fill your bacon weave "tortilla" with the Machaca Con Huevos and top with cheddar cheese if using
Enjoy your new favorite carnivore diet recipe: Machaca Con Huevos Breakfast Tacos!